Latest WW2 German Tank Destroyers

Encyclopedia of Panzer IV / 70 (V) Containers

Škoda T-25 - Tank Encyclopedia

Contents

Nazi Germany (1944)
Builder of Self-Tank – 930-950

During World Conflict II, the Germans developed a quantity of totally different Jagdpanzer fashions. Some of these have been designed and manufactured as a matter of urgency, some have been short-term options, and there were additionally those designed specifically for Jagdpanzer. The latter is the case with the late Panzer IV / 70 (V) of the conflict. It was properly protected, armed with a robust weapon, and with a low profile it turned out to be a lethal weapon. Nevertheless, the impression of this car on the European battlefields in 1944 was restricted, as manufacturing began late in the yr and only a few came to the entrance strains

The primary Jagdpanzer fashions

Even earlier than the warfare, the famous German commander Heinz Guderian had predicted the need for extremely cellular self-propelled tanker automobiles recognized for later referred to as Panzerjäger or Jagdpanzer (tank destroyer or hunter). The phrases Jagdpanzer and Panzerjäger have been primarily one and the same based on German army terminology and concepts. After the warfare, the Jagdpanzer term can be used to describe absolutely enclosed tank destroyers when Panzerjägeri was used on open tank destruction automobiles.

In March 1940, the primary try and construct such a car was made. This was 4.7 cm PaK (s) (Sfl) auf Pz.Kpfw. I, generally recognized as we speak as merely Panzerjäger I. It was kind of a simple improvisation made utilizing a modified Panzer I Ausf.B tank physique and installing a four.7 cm PaK (t) with a small defend. Later, through the assault on the Soviet Union and North Africa, the need for environment friendly tankers turned even more essential for the Germans. The looks of the pulled 7.5 cm PaK 40 increased increasingly more to unravel this drawback, however the primary drawback with this gun was lack of mobility.

The necessity for a cellular tanker car would lead to a "Marder series based on a variety of tankers and equipped with powerful and efficient tank pistols. Also, captured tanks and other vehicles would be reused for this purpose. But most of these vehicles were designed and built in a hurry, and even though they did the job, they were far from perfect.

The German infantry supports a self-propelled pistol, Sturmgeschütz or simply StuG (based on Panzer III) proved to be a great potential when used. They had a relatively good armor, a low profile, and could be mounted on a longer barrel with a 7.5 cm weapon. The mass produced by StuG III Ausf.G, which was installed with a longer 7.5 cm weapon (L / 48), was able to effectively fight almost any Allied tank until the end of the war. StuG vehicles were also much easier to build than any German tank. In 1942, the first plans were made to equip StuG with a stronger weapon and armor. These would ultimately lead to the development of Panzer IV / 70 (V) in late 1944. model – Neuer Sturmgeschütze (or "Sturmgeschütze Neue Art" depending on the source code) series. It was fitted with a 7.5 cm KwK L / 70 gun and protected with a 100 mm front and 40 – 50 mm side armor. It was supposed to have the lowest possible height, a top speed of 25 km / h and a weight of up to 26 tons. According to the original plans, a completely new frame was developed, but due to a lack of industrial capacity, the Panzer IV tanker was chosen instead. During 1942, there were several tests for different models for the new Jagdpanzer based on StuG III design. At the same time, the Alkett company tested the installation of the StuG III on a Panzer IV tanker fitted with a 7.5 cm L / 70 weapon (Gerät No.820). One was also equipped with a 10.5 cm weapon and even a suggestion to test a 88 mm gun. Because this change turned out to be somewhat complicated and was not possible in the near future, a new solution was needed. There were also suggestions for combining some of the components of Panzer III, IV and VK16.02 with "Leopard", but nothing came of this.

Wider work with a new vehicle (based on Panzer IV Ausf. Plauen (VOMAG) Vogtlandische Maschinenfabrik AG was originally named Gerät No.821 at the beginning of 1943. The wooden mockup was completed in May 1943 and the final prototype was completed by the end of the same year. Jagdpanzer IV design and ordered mass production to start as soon as possible

As already mentioned, the Jagdpanzer IV was based on the Panzer IV tank body, where the tower and the top of the hull were removed and replaced with a simple, easy-to-build but extremely angled armored body. The engine compartment was almost the same with minimal changes (the engine was the same), but the original plans for armor and armor had to be changed. instead of being placed at a high angle that gave good protection.

Generally, this vehicle had more or less similar operational combat capabilities than the already produced StuG III tank version. Both had the same weapon, but Jagdpanzer IV had a more efficient and much simpler armor design. Although an efficient tank destroyer, it could be considered a waste of time and resources when StuG III did the same job and was already in production. Even Panzertruppen's chief Heinz Guderian opposed the new Jagdpanzer IV from the very beginning, because it was as similar to StuG III and as it emptied significant and necessary resources for Panzer IV production. 19659005]
The Jagdpanzer IV was equipped with a 7.5 cm PaK 39 L / 48 and protected with a 60 mm front arm. Source

Jagdpanzer IV is manufactured from January to August 1944 for approximately 769 to 784 vehicles. Production was discontinued in August when the new, better-armed and armored Panzer IV / 70 (V) version was ready for production.

Development History of Panzer IV / 70 (V)

At a Late Conference January 1944, Hitler himself called for the future development and bending of Jagdpanzer IV with a more efficient 7.5 cm L / 70 weapon. Vomag was responsible for the implementation and implementation of this task. One Jagdpanzer IV prototype (serial number 320162) was carved with 7.5 cm L / 70 StuK 42 (SturmKanone) (also known as Pak 42 (PanzerabwehrKanone)) and its front arm rose from 60 mm to 80 mm for testing . These tests showed that the installation of a new weapon in Jagdpanzer IV was possible and without major complications

Photos of this prototype were presented to Hitler in early April 1944, and the prototype vehicle was assigned to him on 20 April 1944 (birthday). Hitler was excited about this vehicle and immediately ordered mass production of about 800 Panzer IV / 70 (V) per month. These figures were never reached, and the highest monthly output reached only 185 vehicles


This is the Panzer IV / 70 (V) prototype (Fgst.Nr. 320162), it can be identified by the rubber wheels in front of it, different Weapon fasteners and added welded round armor through the left hand gun. The Panzer IV / 70 (V) prototype did not initially have a weapon travel lock, but because of the weight of the weapon it was later added. Source

At the same time Alkett sought to increase the number of vehicles produced by making the whole bodywork simpler and easier. This vehicle was known as Panzer IV / 70 (A), but only 278 would be built

In July 1944, Hitler ordered to stop Panzer IV production for Panzer IV / 70 (V) and Panzer IV / 70 (A) was based on it. that Panzer IV reached its peak of development and had few alternatives to improve overall performance. The entire conversion process was due to be completed by February 1945. Since the German Army lacked sufficient operative tanks, this order was never fully implemented, and Panzer IV remained in production until the end of the war


Panzer IV / 70 (V) was essentially the same vehicle as the Jagdpanzer IV, but had a thicker front and was armed with a longer weapon. Source

Origin of Panzer IV / 70 (V)

By Hitler's direct orders on July 18, 1944, this vehicle was officially named Panzer IV (V). The letter V is intended for the vehicle manufacturer and designer Vomag. In order to avoid confusion with Panzer IV containers and the previous L / 48 tank hunter version, the German forces on the front referred to this vehicle as Panzer IV / 70 (V 70) (number 70 was barrel length), and this Heeres Waffenamt even officially approved the nomination in November 1944. Some The sources of this vehicle are also known as Jagdpanzer IV / 70 (V). According to some sources, the crew gave the vehicle the nickname "Guderian Ente" (Guderian's Duck) due to slower speed and movement. It should be noted that in German, "Ente" means not only duck but also urine, which is also said to be the reason that Panzer IV / 70V was named "Guderian Ente".

Specifications [19659004] Visually, the Panzer IV / 70 (V) was almost the same as the previous Jagdpanzer IV version, the most obvious difference being the length of the main gun and the added travel lock. Panzer IV / 70 (V) was built using a Panzer IV tanker (some Ausf. H but mostly Ausf. J), which was most unchanged.

The lower front frame was redesigned and had a sharper angle. The transmission and two control brake hatches remained, but the brake inspection hatches were square and smaller than the Panzer IV tank. During the Panzer IV / 70 (V) production, the air inlets in the brake inspection hatches were removed.

The suspension and impellers were the same as in the original Panzer IV, and their structure has not been changed. . They consisted of eight small wheels (on each side) hung on four pairs of leaf spring units. There were two front sprocket chains, two rear wheels and eight return wheels. The number of return rolls was reduced to three per page later in the production process and replaced with steel. When the vehicle turned nose-pregnant, the two front wheels were prone to wear or, in some cases, malfunction. To solve this problem, most vehicles had to be equipped with two (or more) steels with a tired and internally sprung wheel from September 1944 onwards. From February / March 1945, in some vehicles, the back plate was replaced with a cast that was easier to do. Ground clearance increased to 40 cm. If necessary, normal tracks could be replaced by wider "East Strains" (Ostketten).

The engine was Maybach HL 120 TRM, which produced 265 hp @ 2600 rpm. The structure of the engine compartment did not change. The maximum speed was 35 km / h (16 km / h cross-country skiing) with an operating range of 470 l of fuel at 210 km. From September 1944, these vehicles were equipped with new flame-retardant exhaust gases and silencers (flammentoeter). The engine and crew compartment were separated by a fire-resistant and gas-tight armored firewall. To avoid fire accidents, an automatic fire extinguishing system was installed in the engine compartment

New Panzer IV / 70 (V) Bodywork was well protected by angular, thick and simple armor design. The angular shape of the bodywork provided a thicker nominal armor and also increased the ability to control enemy shots. In this way, the need for carefully machined armor plates (such as Panzer III or IV) was unnecessary. Also using larger one-piece metal plates, the structure avoids much welding, which made it much stronger and easier to produce. Panzer IV / 70 (V) upper frame was built of Witkowitzer Bergbau und Eisenhütten surface hardened steel plates (type E 22)

Panzer IV / 70 (V) frame upper front arm armor plate was 80 mm thick at 45 °, and lower plate was 50 mm at an angle of 55 °. The side armrest was 30 mm, back 20 mm and bottom 10 mm. The hull crew compartment had 20 mm bottom armor. The upper body front was 80 mm at an angle of 50 ° (or 40 ° for some sources), the sides were 40 mm at an angle of 60 degrees, the rear armor was 30 mm and the top 20 mm. The engine compartment structure and armor remained unchanged around 20 mm and 10 mm top armor. In addition, 5 mm thick armor plates were added to protect the engine compartment sides.

Panzer IV / 70 (V) can also be equipped with 5 mm thick steel plates (Schürzen) that cover the side of the vehicle. In practice, however, they rarely last for a long time and would fall off the vehicle during combat operations. Due to a shortage of material by the end of 1944, rigid wire mesh (Thoma Schürzen) was used instead of rigid plates. These were much lighter and easier to do, and most sources claim it has given the same protection as a solid type. It is often mentioned that Schürzen is designed to protect the form against downloadable weapons, but they are designed to counter Soviet anti-tank rifle jumps. In addition, Steven Zaloga points out in Bazooka vs. Panzer that the unit of the US Armored Armored Group 1 in the Sarrebourg region tested Bazooka with one Panzer IV equipped with rigid wire mesh like Thoma Schürzen. Tests showed that wire mesh panels did not provide protection against shaped arms

Another line of protection was the possible use of Zimmerit magnetic paste to combat magnetic tank mines, but its use


Detect this photo as well as the small size of the vehicle. Also, the gun lock, which in this case is made of solid metal, is also noticeable. Source

The main weapon of the Panzer IV / 70 (V) tank destroyer was a 7.5 cm StuK 42 L / 70 cannon, also known as 7.5 cm PaK 42 L / 70. same as in the German Panther tank. The height of the 7.5 cm StuK 42 L / 70 was -5 ° to + 15 ° and the displacement 20 °. The main gun was not placed in the center of the vehicle, but instead moved about 20 cm to the right. One 80 mm thick casting gun has worked as an additional protection for the gun. The most important weapon was produced by Gustloff-Werke (Weimar) and Škoda (Pilsen). The hydraulic pneumatic balancing device was provided for better weapon balance and one iron counterweight was added to the back of the reel. To avoid damaging the main gun when it was on the move, it had a heavy travel lock. To release the gun, the gun operator had only to lift the gun slightly and the travel lock would fall down. This allowed a quick battle, but also avoided the crew member leaving the vehicle.

The main gun had no muzzle braking. The first Jagdpanzer IV produced was equipped with muzzle brakes, but during combat operations, the crews often removed them due to dust clouds created during burning. This reduced visibility, but even more importantly gave the vehicle location to the enemy. From May 1944, the muzzle brake was removed from production, and would be continued later with Panzer IV / 70 (V). Because this weapon needed a lot of space and used large one-piece ammunition, the interior of the Panzer IV / 70 (V) was very tight and the ammunition was only 55 laps (or 60 depending on the source). Approximately 34 were armor piercing (AP) (PzGr 39/42 or 40/42), while the remaining 21 were explosive (HE) (SpGr 42). Ammunition was stored on both sides of the wall and held in ammunition.

The secondary weapon used was an MG 42 machine gun with about 1,200 rounds of ammunition. Unlike most other German vehicles, no ball was used in this vehicle. Instead, the gate of the machine gun was protected by a movable hemispherical armored deck. The machine gun was placed on the right side of the vehicle. Panzer IV / 70 (V) also had a Nahverjedigungswaffe (closing weapon) with about 40 or more munitions located at the top of the vehicle and covered with a round armored deck.

An unknown number of late vehicles were equipped with a Vorsatz P-curved muzzle fastener MP 43/44 (7.92 mm) for an attack rifle. The installation of this weapon was placed on the door of the loader door and was used by him. The last line of defense was the crew's personal weapons


The Vorsatz P curved muzzle for MP 43/44. Source

The crew of four crews included a commander, a shooter, a loader / radio operator and a driver. The driver's position was on the left front of the vehicle, but his view of the surrounding area was limited because he only had a periscope mounted on the front and a small periscope pointing to the right to see. Behind him was a shooter station equipped with a Sfl.ZF 1a gun view to achieve goals. This vision was associated with the azimuth indicator, the purpose of which was to tell the gun the exact and current position of the gun. In use, the sight was reflected through the sliding armored deck of the vehicle's top armor. There were two handwheels to use the gun. The lower wheel was for the ride and the upper height.

Behind both of them was a Commander Station with a rotating periscope in the exhaust pipe and the other to the left. The commander had a small extra hatch for using the retractable Sfl.4Z telescope. The commander was also responsible for delivering the loader with a left-side ammunition

The last crew member was a loader placed on the right side of the vehicle. He used a radio (Fu 5 radio) that was right behind and doubled as a MG 42 machine gun operator. Above the machine gun there was a small opening that gave the gun user a limited view. When the machine gun is not in use, it could be pulled into a small lock that was connected to the roof of the vehicle. In this case, the gate of the machine gun can be closed by turning the hemispherical armor. The use of this type of machine gun is strange because a conventional machine-mounted machine gun on all German armored vehicles was MG 34. Almost all periscopes were shielded with armored flaps

The crew reached the vehicle through two hatches at the top of the vehicle.

Hoping to remove the extra weight in front, most of the spare parts and auxiliary equipment were moved to the rear. These included spare parts, wheels, repair tools, fire extinguisher and crew accessories. Some vehicles had an armored and welded base for a 2 ton crane that was added to the superstructure roof.

Dimensions: length 8.5 m, width 3.2 m and height 2 m (or length 8.58 m, width 3.17 m and height 1.85 m according to other sources). The total battle was about 25.8 tonnes


Two Panzer IV / 70 (V) were rejected on the battlefield. In the background there is a white sheet hanging from the gun. Source

Panzer IV / 70 (V) Befehlswagen

An unknown amount of Panzer IV / 70 (V) was engineered to be used as Befehlswagen (command). These vehicles were equipped with radio equipment, the FuG 8 30 radio station (30 W power) with an operating range of 80 km. Optional equipment is located behind the loader and was intended to be used by an additional crew member (but some sources do not mention the fifth crew member). Befehlswagen would also use the 1.4-meter Sternantenne stars (star radio antenna) located on the left side of the engine compartment

Production

Production took place in Vomag and from November 1944 to April 1945. about 930 vehicles were built. Maximum production was achieved in January 1945, and 185 completed vehicles at that time. Due to the poor situation in Germany, production fell rapidly in February to 135 vehicles and dropped to just 50 vehicles produced in March. The last 10 vehicles were completed in April, but it is possible that it was never achieved

Like many other German military vehicles, the authors cannot agree on precise production. Most mention the 930, while some, like Hilary Louis Doyle, offer 950 produced vehicles. According to Duško Nešić, some 940 were built while Krzysztof M. and George P. estimated that 930-940 vehicles were produced.

Organization

Panzer IV / 70 (V) is used to equip many different devices. German units. For the Panzer and Panzer Grenadier groups, they were grouped into Panzerjäger Abteilungss. Panzerjäger Abteilung usually had two Panzerjäger companies. These Panzerjäger companies had to be equipped with 10–14 Panzer IV / 70, divided into three groups. Since the Panzer IV / 70 did not reach a large number, these units were often below the officially defined combat force

Panzer IV / 70 (V) was also used to equip Kampfgruppen (Combat / Battle groups). According to the order of Adolf Hitler (July 2, 1944), a small armored Kampf group was formed. These would later be named Panzer Brigaden. These groups had to be equipped with 30-40 tanks and self-propelled weapons. Since the Panzer IV / 70 began to be available to a sufficient extent, it was also included in these units

Although these vehicles were designed as tank fighters with a thick armor, their best defense was a well-chosen and disguised position. Source

Jagdpanzer Tactic

The term Jagdpanzer could be a bit misleading. Despite good frontal protection and a strong weapon (in the case of this vehicle), it was not intended to go into aggressive hunting, either in open or urban areas, in enemy tanks. Jagdpanzers was a more defensive weapon concept, and their primary task was to connect (if possible in large quantities) enemy tanks and act as fire fighting in the long-range carefully selected and well-camouflaged battlefields, usually on the site.

In attack operations, they would support Panzer units at a safe distance and from the sides. If the attack was successful, they had to move to new combat positions. If it was a failed attack or even a false retreat, they were supposed to form a firing line trap and destroy all enemy advancing armor units.


This vehicle, belonging to the 1st Panzerjäger Abteilung (1st Panzer Division), was filmed on the western side in late 1944. Source

To support the infantry when the goal was closed, they had to stay there until that place was safe from possible enemy counter-attacks. Once this was achieved, they had to go back and wait for future orders. In the case of enemy attacks, they had to offer long-range fires against the enemy's heavy armor. In retreats, Jagdpanzers would be used to establish a defensive position in the new back row.

The connection to the enemy tanks at close range (especially from the sides) was very dangerous for such vehicles because they did not have a fully moving tower, which meant they could not respond quickly to the enemy's movements. For example, in cities (especially in destroyed cities), the absence of a fully moving tower could prevent them from taking too close an army of enemy because these hostile tanks had a clear advantage with their towers. Despite the excellent front of the Panzer IV / 70 (V), the sides and back were weak. The biggest defense was the well-chosen battle station, which every good Jagdpanzer commander had to learn to take advantage of.


Strongly destroyed Panzer IV / 70 (V). This was probably due to an internal explosion. Source

In Battle

The first new units equipped with Panzer IV / 70 (V) were the 105th and 106th Panzer Brigades in early August 1944. These two units were allied forces in front of the Western Front. These were followed (also in August) by 11.Abt. Panzer Regiment "Großdeutschland" Führer Begleit Brigade, 107th Panzer Brigade, Führer Grenadier Brigade, 109th Panzer Brigade. 110. Panzer Brigade, each with 11 Panzer / 70 (V) automobiles.

Regardless of the manufacturing of virtually 1,000 automobiles, the distribution process to front-line models was too sluggish. This was primarily as a result of an increase in Allied bomb attacks in Germany, which brought about monumental issues in transporting these automobiles (and others). Panzer IV / 70 (V) began to succeed in the front line models with a large quantity solely since January 1945, and by then it was too late. The Panzer IV / 70 (V) (137 car )'s largest concentration on one fight operation was in the course of the newest German attack in the West, in Ardenne in December 1944.

Panzer IV / 70 (V) was a tank destroyer, typically utilized in different roles, like an attack gun. When appearing on this position without the help of infantry, it turned out to be a simple goal for enemy tanker (Bazooka) armed groups, as was demonstrated through the assault on the villages of Krinkelt-Rocherath. 12. SS Panzerjäger Abteilung's Panzer IV / 70 (V) was used to assault parts of America's 2nd Infantry Division, which defended the Krinkelt-Rocherath villages and Lausdell junction. The primary assaults on the American position at the Lausdelli junction have been made with the help of two Panzer IV / 70 (V) corporations on December 17, 1944. The People did not have any armor in the mean time, but that they had artillery help and a big number of anti-t mines have been set. In the course of the assault on the Lausdell junction, a number of Panzer IV / 70 (V) (2nd Company) led to an attack supported by the small Panzergrenadier infantry teams hiding on the Panzer IV / 70 (V) engine deck. When German automobiles found, the American artillery bombed them instantly. One car was destroyed by artillery attack, and two have been immobilized in mines. One immobilized car was shot in American locations, but ultimately it was destroyed by a mixture of termite grenades and a gasoline tank. The opposite two Panzer IV / 70 (V) have been destroyed by bazooka teams. After the grouping, the Germans repeated the attack later that day, nevertheless it met a heavy artillery hearth and four of the seven armored automobiles (unknowns) have been declared destroyed. The final attack try was made at 22.30, but with the assistance of artillery this assault was also rejected.

The subsequent day the Germans attacked the villages of Krinkelt-Rocherath with parts of the 12th SS Panzerjäger Abteilung 2. Company. Help for SS Panzergrenadier's 25th Regiment. The first strains of defense guarded American positions exceeded. Panzer IV / 70 (V), who arrived within the village, managed to destroy three M4 tanks. There was a heavy battle that lasted all day, but the Germans retreated the subsequent morning to wait for reinforcements and provides. The subsequent day they continued their attacks, however finally they might not break this line and endure main losses (one Panzer IV / 70 (V) lost together with a number of Panzer IV and Panther tanks). Originally of the Ardennes attack, the 12th SS Panzerjäger Abteilung had 22 Panzer IV / 70 (V), but had lost three automobiles with seven broken, although they have been later recovered and repaired.


On the left Panther we see Panzer IV / 70 (V), who has disappeared in the battle of the villages of Krinkelt-Rocherath. Supply

People used captured Panzer IV / 70 (V) in winter 1944/45 to test the effectiveness of bazooks. Though the entrance armor turned out to be impermeable, the edges and rear have been exposed to this weapon.

Panzer IV / 70 (V) additionally noticed heavy motion on the east aspect, where it additionally proved to be an effective tank destroyer, such because the Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 563. Schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 563 acquired 18 Jagdpanthers and 22 Panzer IV / 70 (V), divided into two January 20, 1945. The subsequent day, this unit was sent to Allenstain in Poland. 563. osallistui raskaisiin taisteluihin Puolassa, jossa se väitti tuhoutuneensa noin 58 vihollisen säiliötä neljän Panzer IV / 70 (V): n ja yhden Jagdpantherin häviämisellä 10 päivän aikana. Helmikuun 1945 alkuun mennessä tämä yksikkö oli pelkkä varjo sen entisestä vahvuudesta vain 5 Jagdpanthersin ja Three Panzer IV / 70 (V): n vasemmalla puolella. Kaikki jäljellä olevat ajoneuvot oli hylättävä tai hävitettävä niiden miehistöjen takia polttoaineen, varaosien ja mutaisen maaston puutteen vuoksi.

Yli kolmekymmentä erilaista saksalaista yksikköä oli varustettu, yleensä noin 11 tällaisella ajoneuvolla. These can be used to help many German front line Divisions, including 2nd SS Panzer Division, 1st SS Panzer Division, 7th, eighth, 13th, and 21st Panzer Divisions, 20th Panzergrenadier Division, Panzer Abteilung “Jüteborg”, 510th Heeres Panzerjäger Abteilung and others.

Some StuG-equipped models (Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung) have been strengthened with IV/70 (V) automobiles, like the 226th and 210th Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung. There was also a last-ditch try and type a combined firm outfitted with Panzer IV/70 (V) and (A) prototypes at Kümmersdorf on 15th February 1945. One of the final models to obtain 10 new built Panzer IV/70 (V) was the 33rd Panzer Regiment from the ninth Panzer Division on 17th April 1945.

By early April 1945, the German Military had around 285 operational Panzer IV/70 (V). Almost all have been stationed on the Japanese Front (274), whereas solely small numbers have been stationed on the Western Entrance (eight) and only three in Italy.

By late 1944, there was a common lack of Panzers, so the Germans have been pressured to make use of the Jagdpanzers as alternative automobiles as an alternative. The Panzer IV/70 (V) suffered losses as it was typically used in the position of Panzer, a task for which it was not suited nor designed for. But as there were no other solutions, something was higher than nothing.

A Soviet T-34-85 passes by a destroyed Panzer IV/70 (V) somewhere on the Japanese Entrance in March 1945. Supply

Different IV/70 (V) operators

The Bulgarians, after changing sides in September of 1944, instantly started attacking their former German ally. In March 1945, their armored pressure was supplemented with one captured Panzer IV/70 (V) (Ser. Num. 320662) provided by the Soviets. In Bulgarian service, this car was recognized beneath the Maybach T-IV identify. This car still exists to this present day and could be seen on the Nationwide Museum of Army Historical past in Sofia.

Unknown numbers of captured Panzer IV/70 (V) have been provided to the Romanian army by the Soviet Union (probably after the struggle). In Romanian service, they have been recognized underneath the TAs T 4 designation and remained in service until 1950, once they have been changed with more trendy Soviet gear.

After the struggle, Syria acquired a number of older German captured armored automobiles including unknown numbers of Panzer IV/70 (V) and Jagdpanzer IV. These have been provided by the Soviets they usually noticed action in the course of the Six Day Struggle.


One Panzer IV/70 (V) was given to the Bulgarians by the Soviets. In Bulgarian service, this car was recognized beneath the Maybach T-IV identify. Source: Matev

Surviving automobiles

A small number of Panzer IV/70 (V) survive to this present day and could be seen in a number of museums around the globe. One could be found within the capital metropolis of Bulgaria, Sofia, one in Shrivenham in the UK, two in the USA (Patton Museum and Aberdeen Proving Grounds), one in Canada (Ottawa), and one at Kubinka (Russia). Another could be found in Syria.

Conclusion

Despite the difficulty with its weight, the Panzer IV/70 (V) proved to be a dangerous and efficient anti-tank weapon because it might destroy all Allied armored automobiles from nice ranges. It had a very low profile which made camouflaging it an easy process. The robust frontal 80 mm angled armor offered efficient safety from enemy hearth, especially from a distance.

However, then again, it was constructed too late and in inadequate numbers to have any giant influence on the Warfare. The late introduction and lengthy improvement time of this car also disrupted the production of the much wanted Panzer IV tank, which the Panzer IV/70(V) was typically pressured to exchange in combat, being used as a tank despite being unsuitable for the aim.


One other destroyed Panzer IV/70 (V) someplace on the Western Entrance. Source

Specs

Dimensions (L-W-H) 8.5 x Three.2 x 2 meters Complete weight, battle prepared 25.eight tonnes Armament 7.5 cm StuK 42/ PaK 42 L/70 and one 7.92 mm MG 42 Armor Hull front 80 mm, aspect 30 mm, rear 20 mm and backside 10-20 mm
Superstructure entrance 80 mm, aspect 40 mm prime and rear 20 mm Crew 4 (driver, commander, gunner, loader) Propulsion Maybach HL 120 TRM, 300 hp (221 kW), 11.63 hp/ton Velocity 35 km/hr, 15-18 km/hr (cross country) Suspension Leaf springs Operational range 210 km (130 mi) Complete manufacturing 930 – 950

Supply

David Doyle (2005), German army Automobiles, Kp Books
Janusz L. (2002) Panzer IV/70 (V), Militaria.
Krzysztof M. and George P. (2001), Jagdpanzer IV L/48, Kagero Lublin
Alexander Ludeke, Waffentechnik im Zeiten Weltrieg, Parragon books
Duško Nešić, (2008), Naoružanje Drugog Svetsko Rata-Nemačka, Beograd
Thomas L. Jentz (1997), Panzer Tracts No.9 Jagdpanzer, Darlington Manufacturing Inc.
Bryan P. (2003) Sturmartillerie and Panzerjäger 1939-45, Osprey Publishing
Terry J. G. (2004), Tanks in Element JgdPz IV, V, VI and Hetzer, Ian Allan Publishing
Surviving Pz.IV Variants (2018)
Peter Chamberlain and Hilary Doyle (1978) Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World Conflict Two – Revised Version, Arms and Armor press.
Walter J. Spielberger (1993). Panzer IV and its Variants, Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
Warmachines No. 17 Jagdpanzer IV/70 Army Photograph File, Verlinder Publications
Steven Z. (2016) Bazooka Vs. Panzers Battle for the Bulge, Osprey Publishing
Thomas L. Jentz (2005) Panzer Tracts No.9-3 Jagdpanther, Panzer Tracts publications
Adrian S. Gheorghe B. (2010) Artileria Română în date și imagini, Editura Centrului Tehnic-Editorial al Armatei.
Matev, Okay. (2000). Bulgarian Armored Automobiles 1935-1945. Angela Publishing.

window.fbAsyncInit = perform()
    FB.init(
      appId : '624607647635857',
      xfbml : true,
      model : 'v2.5'
);
;

(perform (d, s, id)
     var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName (s) [0];
if (d.getElementById (id)) return;
js = d.createElement (s); js.id = id;
js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js";
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore (js, fjs);
   (doc, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName (s) [0];
if (d.getElementById (id)) returns;
js = d.createElement (s); js.id = id;
js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1";
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore (js, fjs);
(asiakirja, käsikirjoitus ',' facebook-jssdk '));